"Beautiful Glen Isle on the South River," that's the way the early developer (circa 1923) described this waterfront community. He also used other superlatives to entice prospective buyers such as "...rich in the traditions of the former days; convenient to Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington; noted for its sandy beaches and traditionally the home of Black Beard the Pirate."
Our original tract of 138 acres was part of a much larger grant given to the second Lord Baltimore. Subsequently, this tract was sold to a Mr. Burgess from Baltimore and then to his son-in-law, Mr. Beard. For many years the property was known as Beard's Farm.
The northernmost part of the community beach (where the cattails are located) is officially called Beard's Point and can be found on most nautical charts of the area. Our main wharf was long used by ferry boats traveling to Annapolis and by commercial fisherman. The oyster shells lying on the beach are artifacts of this bygone era.